Friday, January 1, 2010

The New Year.

I am doing this for the 2nd year in a row. Feel free to post your own answers, either in the comments or on your own blog! Here are mine:

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Co-hosted family Christmas celebrations at our house, became the mother of a toddler, co-hosted a kid's birthday party

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Through calorie restriction and eventually increased exercise, I am trying to lose a total of 35 pounds (non-baby weight) by August 2010. I have lost 12 pounds so far.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Rashmi and Rohit (Ishaan), Holly & Joel (Liam), Rusty & Jayme (Mason), Stacy & Ray (Sara), and Belen and Rich (Isabella).

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

5. Where did you travel in 2009?
To Harrisonburg, VA, Virginia Beach, VA, and Washington, DC, in March to visit my in-laws, see my husband's alma mater and visit with the Showalters. Over Labor Day weekend, we went to Manitowoc, WI to visit our good friends, the Ablers.


6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A healthy BMI, a cleaner house and more pleasure reading done

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
6/25/09--the date pop music legend Michael Jackson died of sudden cardiac arrest. The first news reports seemed like a hoax. I grew up listening to his music, admiring his Geri curls and trying to emulate his dance moves. The Thriller music video changed the way music was marketed forever.
8/19/09--Kate's first birthday. We celebrated the fact that we kept her alive for an entire year by making sure she received her scheduled vaccinations.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Kate's first birthday and party; losing 12 pounds in 1.5 months.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Our messy, disorganized house; not exercising enough; having the TV on too much

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Around the time of my birthday, I injured my pelvic joint during a yogalates class at the Y. It seems to have swelled and now flairs up after carrying Kate around a lot on that side or after walking longish distances. I also have fluctuating high blood pressure and high cholesterol I am trying to address through losing weight and eating healthier. Read: Less cheese and smaller portions. Otherwise, our household has so far avoided the dreaded H1N1.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Infared backyard grill, materials to build a backyard deck

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Our family's--for understanding our inability to spend the holidays with everyone at once and for showering Kate with affection, attention and many, many thoughtful and generous gifts.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The people involved in helping my brother learn have failed him. The Gosselin family's extremely public divorce and cries for attention, The Octomom's decision to have 8 children and her fertility doctor's decision to implant 6 embryos at once, the balloon boy's parents' decision to stage a costly publicity stunt, the Nigerian radical who nearly blew his nuts off by attempting to detonate an explosive device on an international flight into Detroit and the military psychiatrist in Fort Hood who opened fire, killing and wounding several people.

14. Where did most of your money go?
House, food, savings and deck

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Kate's development--crawling, walking, talking, eating a variety of foods, developing a sense of humor and a goofy personality. I was also excited to see her reactions on Christmas morning and to watch her play with other children her age. I also loved spending time with my best friend's family around Christmas and watching Kate interact with her nephews.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Something off the Ziggy Marley "Family Time" CD for sure. It gets played over and over in our car. "Walk tall; walk tall; even if you fall, get up!"

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading a real book, exercising, gone out without Kate

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worried, being passive, surfing the internet, watching TV

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Chris really decked our halls this year. Kate's Gram and uncles Bill and Matthew celebrated with us in Mason, and Chris (sometimes with his Mom's help) cooked elaborate feasts each night. I did what I am much better at--washed the dishes. Kate was so wound up from spending time with her family the first night, that she could not fall asleep. Uncle Bill bought our family a high quality Lionel train set modeled after the Polar Express that brought Chris to tears. Kate learned to say "Nigh-Nigh" to everyone when she went to bed. A few days later, we exchanged presents with my Mom's side of the family at my Grandma's house, and Kate had her first taste of an Armenian dessert--Halva. Chris also made Armenian shortbread cookies this year among many other treats traditional to his side of the family. We celebrated Christmas at Thanksgiving with my Dad's side of the family at his house this year. Kate received so many presents that she had to take a nap while we finished opening them.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
More and more deeply every day with Kate and with Chris.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
We still watch "Grey's Anatomy," "Desperate Housewives" and "Brothers & Sisters." I think "The Big Bang Theory," "Modern Family," "The Family Guy" and "The Cleveland Show" are also becoming fast favorites. We also bought and watched Seasons 1-3 of "The Muppet Show" with Kate, who loves it.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No.

24. What was the best book you read?
Sadly, I started to read "The Year of Living Biblically," a secular Jewish author's take on his attempt to live the bible literally for a year, as part of a 2-person book club. Neither of us has made it through it yet. I think I do most of my reading on line, and it is mostly news and child development-related.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Does children's music count?


26. What did you want and get?
Comfy slippers, a Tassimo one-cup coffee brewer, a sweater, make-up, a bathroom scale, an outdoor shed, Christmas PJs, money

27. What did you want and not get?
Pilates mat and exercise DVDs

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
"The Hangover" or "Up."

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my birthday, Chris cooked me a lobster tail and steak dinner, and I attended a yogalates class at the Y. The weekend of my birthday, we enjoyed a discounted meal at Opus One because of Detroit's first annual Restaurant Week. I was 34.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A cleaner and more well-organized house. Otherwise, I am pretty satisfied.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Shirts long enough to cover the gap between my natural waist and the waist of low rider pants. These pants were not made for people with long torsos and big butts, and the baby doll style shirts just make me look pregnant. As I have been losing weight, I am just belting up my old pants and wearing larger shirts, until my shoulders, arms, butt and hips follow suit.

32. What kept you sane?
Sleep, Chris's voice of reason and being able to talk and write about it with myself and friends as we exercise together. Also--doing something instead of just talking about it.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Bradley Cooper from "The Hangover"

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The state legislature's inability to reach a budget compromise and ongoing problems concerning that subject. At the federal level--the debate over publicly-funded and mandated health insurance. I was also happy that the state legislature finally mandated smoke-free restaurants and bars with a few exceptions.

35. Who did you miss?
My Papa.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Chris and I both enjoyed getting to know Amy and Beau better this year and meeting Belen and Rich.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
One of the hardest and most important things you can be as a parent is consistent.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

From Ziggy Marley's "I Love you Too"--

When you smile I'll smile along
When you cry my comfort comes

When you walk I'll be beside you
Holding your hands
When the sun come out we play
I'll never be far away
When you tell me that you love me
This is what I'm gonna say

I love you too, I love you too
I tell you I love you
I love you too, I love you too
I love you

No comments: